Ogham sets are available on eBay or Etsy shops, but I think it’s more powerful to make them ourselves. Traditionally, ogham staves are made from wood, and preferably from the wood associated with the ogham letter.
|Ailm||Pine or Fir|
If, like me, you don’t have the possibility to find all 20 types of wood to makes your ogham staves, you still can use the same type of wood for all of them (some even uses rocks but I prefer my ogham sets to be from wood). Below, I made a very simple ogham staves tutorial, and I used pictures from my first project.
- You’ll need twenty identical staves. For my first set, I used large wood craft sticks.
- I made myself a template to make the wood burning easier.
- Place the template on the stick.
- With a pencil, decide and mark where the lines will be drawn.
- Use a wood burner (or a permanent marker) to finish the ogham symbol.
- Repeat! Now, you have you very fist ogham set!
As you can see on the last picture, I’ve added the ogham name on the right to easily identify them. When you are new to the ogham divination system, this can be very useful to you. Some will also add some omen description on the back, or draw the leaves or the three associated with the ogham name. Use your creativity and make the set you’ll like to use!
For my second set, I used simple wood dowels. There are still the ones that I currently use, and I might add a wood finish in the future, to make them look darker or older. I hope you found this quick tutorial interesting. Please, let me know if you have any questions!